The Malaysian Institute of Translation & Books (276206 D) (formerly known as the Malaysian National Institute of Translation) was established on 14 September 1993 to provide the infrastructure for Malaysia’s translation industry, in the line with the country’s Vision 2020.
As a limited company, its share capital is wholly owned by the Ministry of Finance and its administration is managed by the Ministry of Education. In the line with the Companies Act 1965, its objectives, jurisdiction, board members and matters pertaining to the functions of ITBM are governed by its Memorandum and Articles of Association approved by the Registrar of Companies.
ITBM was established with the aim of elevating the translation industry in the country, dealing with matters relating to translation, interpreting and knowledge transfer at all levels, both national and international. It is also tasked with enhancing and increasing the publication of works of local writers to boost the national publishing industry, consistent with the extension of its mandate as announced by the Prime Minister on 16 December 2011.
Institut Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia (ITBM) is:
- An organisation providing translation services for books, documents, information, software and other literature from various languages into Malay and also other languages.
- An interpreting centre for local and international clients.
- A professional development centre promoting the method, technique and art of translation, interpreting and information exchange in various languages.
- A human resource development centre training and enhancing the skills of translators, editors, interpreters and other language professionals to fulfil the country’s needs at national and international levels.
- A reference centre establishing standards and quality assurance for translation, interpreting and information exchange in Malaysia.
- To overcome barriers in the dissemination of knowledge through quality translation for a developed society consistent with Vision 2020;
- To enrich the knowledge repository in Malay pertaining to the thinking of Malaysians regarding culture, science and technology through translation and book publishing;
- To internationalise national works continuously through translation and book publishing to produce works recognised worldwide;
- To develop the human capital in the translation and book publishing industries.
- To be the leading translation organisation and publisher of quality books.